Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Where's The Pause Button?!

Five years old.  Five.Years.Old.

If I close my eyes I can put myself right back in the hospital room where Shiloh was born.  I can return to the backseat of the Jeep during our drive home as a family of three.  Richard driving down 316 towards Athens, commenting on how it really is a lot of pressure driving with your newborn baby in the backseat, not daring to drive above the speed limit.  I sat in the back staring at Shiloh, wanting to never forget that tiny face.  I snapped picture after picture of her while Richard ran into Target briefly to purchase a diaper bin.  The last baby item on the list to be checked off.  It truly does feel just like just yesterday.  

I think I can safely say that five was a good one for you, Shiloh.  We stretched the celebrations out over one week; starting with your birthday party, and ending with a trip to the beach.  There was also an awesome visit from Auntie A squeezed in the middle.

Five years, Shiloh.  I can't believe you're five years old.  At the same time though, it's hard to remember life without you.  You are so smart, sometimes too smart for your own good.  You have a memory that has caused your daddy and I to refer to you as an elephant from time to time.  Your memory is one thing that amazes me about you.  As someone who can only remember bits and pieces from my childhood, I'm always blown away when you start describing places or events to me from when you were 18 months old.  I truly hope you always stay this sharp.

Your artistic ability has grown in leaps and bounds over the last few months.  I recently purchased you your own special pink pen and matching notebook to draw, and eventually journal, in.  One of your favorite activities is to have daddy and I take turns asking you to draw something (a flower, car, tree, our house) in it.  You may not be the next Picasso, but daddy and I love that you seem to be taking an interest in drawing.

You're also becoming quite the little athlete.  I signed you up for soccer this fall.  I had a feeling you would take to it pretty easily since you've been kicking the ball around in the backyard since you were 18 months old.  I was pleased to find that I was right.  Once you got over the fact that the other team was trying to take the ball away from you, you were really good.  You scored at least two goals every game, and I'm pretty certain that if they named a team MVP, it would have been you ;).

You've also recently taken on some chores to help out around the house.  We're easing you in.  You make sure you bed is made every morning, feed the dogs and fish, and keep your room clean.  Still, I'm proud to say that you have accepted your new responsibilities like a champ.

 I truly do feel honored to be your "mama", Shiloh, and to be able to watch you grow into this amazing little person you've become.  I am so excited to see what all you achieve in this life.  I know you're only 5, but I have a feeling you're going to blow us all away.  (No pressure ;))

 The kickoff of the Allstars last soccer game. (the same day as her birthday party)

 Ella came all the way from Alabama for Shiloh's party.  Shiloh was so excited to have Ella there.

 Since this was the last game of the season, the church had some inflatables for the kids to play in.

 Shiloh receiving her trophy from Coach Matt. Matt did such an awesome job with kids. 

 Shiloh's birthday party at AMAI Karate.

Cutting her cake with a samurai sword.

 First time in the ocean.

 This girl LOVES the ocean/beach.



 Shiloh's birthday rainbow.  This was in the sky the morning of her birthday :)

 The one picture I took of her on her birthday.


No comments: